The use of technology heavily supports both online teaching and learning. Utilizing computers, handheld devices, and other digital learning tools, greatly expands teaching and learning abilities, course offerings, and experiences. Our technology in our online educational programs boosts educational productivity as well as provides the students and teachers more flexible schedules and rates of learning. We want your online experiences to run as smoothly as possible without any technical difficulties.
Learning Management Systems and WebEx Conferencing
Once enrolled, Temple University online students have full access to web-based collaborative learning platforms they need to produce quality work. Your coursework will unfold within the Canvas learning management system designed to support our academic units' engaging learning experiences. Many courses also include synchronous, live meetings, utilizing WebEx conferencing and collaboration technology.
Hardware/Software Requirements and Recommendations
All of these learning systems are accessed through the use of computers or mobile learning technologies. Please review the roster below to make sound hardware and software selections. Please note, Temple University has relationships with the following tech-based vendors who may provide discounts. This is the direct link to the Educational Discounts page.
- Desktop or Laptop computer with camera
- A headset with microphone for live collaborative meeting sessions
- Broadband (cable or DSL) internet connection; Strong, secure wireless connection is an option
- CD ROM and Printer (recommended)*
- Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (Internet Explorer not recommended)
- Adobe Reader [Download from Adobe]
- Java [Download from Oracle]
- Flash Player [Download from Adobe]
- Microsoft Office Suite (2013 recommended)*
Please make sure to access your @temple.edu e-mail messages. This is the only e-mail address that your professors have to contact you. All students enrolled in online, blended or videoconferencing courses are also automatically enrolled in the Distance Learning Program Blackboard Community, which contains useful information about Temple University's online resources.
To learn more about Temple University’s award winning Computer Services, internationally recognized for innovative uses of learning technologies and how they support our students, please visit their website.